Your front door is often the first line of defense against intruders and criminals, so it’s important to make sure it’s as secure as possible. Burglars typically look for an easy target, and a front door that is not properly secured is an invitation for them to come in. In this guide, we will explore some tips on how to make your front door more secure and reduce the chances of anyone unwanted gaining access to your home.
Why is securing your front door so important?
Your front door is the most common entry point for burglars, according to ADT. Is estimated that 34% of the time, intruders enter through the front door. And in homes without a security system, that number goes up to 45%.
There are several things you can do to make your front door more secure and less inviting to burglars.
Here are some tips:
- Install a security system: A security system is a great way to deter intruders and provide peace of mind. There are many different types of security systems available, so be sure to choose one that meets your needs.
- Keep your front door locked at all times: It may seem like common sense, but it’s important to make sure your front door is always locked.
- Use a deadbolt lock: A deadbolt is one of the most effective ways to secure and reinforce your door. It is much more difficult to pick than a regular doorknob lock, and it also makes it more difficult for someone to force their way through the door.
- Install a peephole: A peephole allows you to see who is at the door before opening it, which can help you determine whether or not to open the door.
- Install a strike plate: Contact your local locksmith and have them install a strike plate on your door. A strike plate is a metal piece that goes over the hole where the doorknob attaches to the door, and it makes it much more difficult for someone to break in.
- Add a security bar: A security bar can be installed on the inside of your door and helps keep it closed tight.
- Keep your porch and entryway well-lit: A well-lit area is less inviting to criminals and can help you see who is at your door before opening it.
- Consider adding a security screen door: A security screen door adds an extra layer of protection and can be helpful in deterring intruders.
- Talk to your neighbors: Get to know your neighbors and let them know when you’ll be away from home. They can keep an eye out for suspicious activity and may even be able to provide assistance in the event of an emergency.
- Make sure your door is made of solid wood or metal: A hollow-core door is much easier to break through, so it’s important to have a solid door that will be more difficult for an intruder to kick in.
By following these tips, you can help make your front door more secure and reduce the chances of someone gaining unauthorized access to your home. For more tips on security, be sure to check out our other blog posts.
These are some facts and preventative measures regarding burglaries that you should know:
- Burglaries typically occur during the daytime when people are away at work or school. Data shows that the most active times for home break-ins are from 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- Homes without a security system are three times more likely to be broken into. Burglars are aware that homes with security systems present a challenge.
- Most burglars enter through the front door, so it’s important to make sure it is properly secured.
- You can deter burglars by installing a security system, keeping your front door locked at all times, using a deadbolt lock, and keeping your porch and entryway well-lit.
- It’s also important to have a solid door that is difficult to breakthrough.
- Most criminals can break into your home in less than 10 minutes.
- Burglars typically start in the master bedroom. They usually take small, valuable items that can easily be sold or pawned.
Thank you for reading! We hope this guide was helpful. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to let us know in the comments section below. Happy home security!
If you are a Nashville resident you can always call Armstrong Locksmith for all of your security needs. Armstong has been serving the Nashville area for over 25 years and offers a wide range of security services, including:
- Lock installation and repair
- Key duplication
- Break-In Repairs
- Lock Rekeying
- Residential and Commercial Lockout services
For more information, please give us a call at 615-625-8000