It's a frustrating experience when your car key fob stops working. Suddenly you can't get into your car or start the engine. There are several reasons why this might happen, but don't worry - we're here to help. In this blog post, we'll outline five of the most common causes of remote car key failure, and what you can do about it. Stay calm and read on for advice on how to get back on the road as quickly as possible!
It’s a frustrating experience when your car key fob stops working. Suddenly you can’t get into your car or start the engine. There are several reasons why this might happen, but don’t worry – we’re here to help. In this blog post, we’ll outline five of the most common causes of remote car key failure, and what you can do about it. Stay calm and read on for advice on how to get back on the road as quickly as possible!
These are the Top 6 Reasons Why Your Remote Car Key Stopped Working
- Dead batteries: This is the most common reason for car key failure. If your key fob isn’t working, check the batteries and replace them if necessary. You can easily open the key fob to access the batteries. When in doubt check for your car owner’s manual or a Youtube guide.
- Dirty or damaged buttons: If your button is not responding properly, it might be because it’s dirty or damaged. Cleaning the button with a soft cloth can sometimes solve the problem. If that doesn’t work, you might need to replace the button. This is where you may want to consider asking a local locksmith for help.
- Worn-out key: Over time, your car key will wear out from normal use. This can cause the button to become less responsive. If this is the case, you’ll need to get a replacement key from your dealership or local locksmith.
- Damaged transponder: If you have a remote key with a transponder, it may be damaged and need to be replaced. Transponders are tiny chips that transmit a signal to the car’s ignition system. They can be easily damaged if dropped or exposed, this will definitely require the expertise of a professional locksmith.
- Faulty immobilizer: If your car’s immobilizer is not working properly, it can prevent your car key from starting the engine. You’ll need to get this fixed by a qualified mechanic.
- Damaged car key: If your car key is damaged, it will likely need to be replaced. This is something you should be able to do at a local car dealership or locksmith.
Frequent Asked Questions
Besides the 6 Reasons Why Your Remote Car Key Stopped Working, let’s go over some of the most frequent automotive key fob questions we get asked at Armstrong Locksmith.
Why does my key fob not work after replacing the car battery?
If you’ve recently replaced your car battery, it’s possible that the new battery is not compatible with your key fob or you place the battery in the key fob incorrectly. In either case, you’ll need to get a new key fob from your dealership or local locksmith.
Will the dead battery in the key fob cause the car not to start?
No, the dead battery in the key fob will not cause the car not to start. However, you will need to replace the batteries in order to use the remote functions of the key fob.
I dropped my key fob and now it doesn’t work. What can I do?
If you’ve dropped your key fob and it’s not working, it’s possible that the transponder has been damaged. You’ll need to take it to a professional locksmith or dealer to have it replaced.
Can a key FOB go bad?
Yes, key fobs can go bad over time. The buttons can become less responsive and the transponder can be damaged. If your key fob is not working properly, you’ll need to get it replaced by your dealership or local locksmith.
We hope this blog post has been helpful in troubleshooting your remote car key issue. Remember, if your key fob is not working, the most likely cause is a dead battery. However, there are other potential causes like damage to the button or transponder. If you’re having trouble with your car key, we recommend taking it to a professional locksmith or dealer for assistance.
Armstrong Locksmith Nashville, TN
For our readers in Nashville and surrounding areas, we recommend contacting us at Armstrong Locksmith. We are a professional locksmith company that specializes in automotive keys and transponder keys. You can reach us at (615) 625-8000 or book an appointment online for more information. Follow us on social media, Youtube, and TikTok
We hope this blog post has been helpful to you!
Thanks for reading!